Panel of judges awards highest ranking to research proposals
LONGFONDS | Accelerate focuses on two major challenges: lung regeneration (the regeneration of damaged lung tissue) and asthma prevention (preventing asthma in young children). With this goal in mind, two promising and innovative research proposals have been drawn up, based on the challenges, latest insights and new technologies within the different disciplines. Leading European institutes have agreed to participate as partners. Their considerable capabilities have been brought together in two strong international consortia: ‘A World without Asthma’ (asthma prevention), led by dr. Hermelijn Smits, and ‘BREATH’ (lung regeneration), led by prof.dr. Hans Clevers.
The research proposals were assessed by an independent international panel of judges under the chairmanship of prof.dr. Jos van der Meer on 21 June 2017. The panel of judges awarded both proposals the highest ranking. Signature of the first Consortium Agreement is expected to take place in mid-November 2017.
Panel of judges
- Jos van der Meer (chair person, professor emeritus, Radboud University Medical Centre, Nijmegen, the Netherlands)
- Marc Humbert (Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale, Paris, France)
- Stephen Holgate (University of Southampton, Great Britain)
- Andrew Bush (Imperial College London, Great Britain)
- Harald Renz (Philipps-Universität Marburg, Germany)
- Jean-Marc Cavaillon (Institut Pasteur, France)
- Saverio Bellusci (Justus Liebig Universät Giessen, Germany)
- Gunilla Westergren-Thorsson (Lund University, Sweden)
- Stijn Gremmen (patient ambassador, the Netherlands)