To maintain the excellent quality of research within the consortia, an independent jury monitors the scientific progress.
LONGFONDS | Accelerate focuses on two major challenges: lung regeneration (the regeneration of damaged lung tissue) and asthma prevention (preventing asthma in young children). With this goal in mind, two promising and innovative research proposals were assessed by an independent international panel of judges in June 2017. The panel of judges awarded both proposals the highest ranking. The jury will assess the progress of the consortiums two and five years after date of launch.
Members of the International jury
- Jos van der Meer, chair
(Professor Emeritus, Radboud University Medical Centre, Nijmegen, the Netherlands)
- Marc Humbert (Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale, Paris, France)
- Stephen Holgate (University of Southampton, Great Britain)
- Andrew Bush (Imperial College London, Great Britain)
- Harald Renz (Philipps-Universität Marburg, Germany)
- Jean-Marc Cavaillon (Institut Pasteur, France)
- Saverio Bellusci (Justus Liebig Universät Giessen, Germany)
- Gunilla Westergren-Thorsson (Lund University, Sweden)
- Stijn Gremmen (patient ambassador, the Netherlands)
‘ Longfonds has succeeded in building very strong international consortia. By joining forces internationally, under the direction of Lung Foundation Netherlands, we can take major steps forward.’
Prof. dr. Jos van der Meer, chair of the international jury